Sunday 24 January 2010

Gotta start somewhere.....

.... so here's my first entry. Hi everyone, I'm Dave and this is my blog. I'm doing this to document my progress as I attempt to do a convincing impression of a poker player. My reasoning is that if I write about it I will be more motivated to put in the hours I need to, because right now I'm struggling to spend even a couple of hours a day actually at the tables.

I play the Double or Nothing games (DoN) on Pokerstars under the name TeamTrousers, and it seems made for me. It's a single table tournament. Ten people sit down and put money in the prize fund. We play poker until five players have lost all their chips - the five guys remaining get double their buy in back as their prize for surviving. Low reward, yes, but also low risk. Not even real poker, some say. After all, I only have to outlast five idiots, right? How hard can it be? Well, we'll see as time goes by, but it's not always as simple as it sounds

I started from the lowest level and want to work my way right up. I played the $1 games for quite a while, getting used to the mechanics of the game, practising assessing my equity very quickly, and generally getting a handle on how to massively multitable these bad boys. Plus it was easy as hell to win at them and slowly build a bankroll. The amounts were small though. My hourly was probably less than minimum wage. But like the low-paid bar jobs and restaurant jobs many students take to get through university, hopefully the effort down there will pay off in the long run.

From the $1 games I built a bankroll to move up to the $5 games, which is where I currently find myself playing.......

No comments:

Post a Comment